Tuesday 15 September 2009

Tuesday - and some thoughts on celebrity

I have never thought of myself as being a massive “celebrity fan” – so was surprised today by how saddened I was to hear of the death of Patrick Swayze. I have “fallen for” many handsome TV & Film stars, Pop stars etc over the course of my life – and still feel a fondness for many who are still with us, and have always been saddened to hear they were no longer on this earth – but today’s news is the first time I have found myself with tears in my eyes.
I am struggling to find a reason to be truthful – I was not a teenager or even very young when he first became a star in Dirty Dancing – in fact I never saw it in its heyday. As a mum of an 8 yr old and a 1 year old I didn’t go to the cinema, so much of the fuss went over my head and I thought that I was past those teenage type crushes (I was in my mid 30s!!). However – when I eventually saw the film at home on video I fell hook, line & sinker for the pure romance of the story – however cheesy it might seem today. I remember sitting watching it with my beloved Doug and the children and loving every minute – especially when he was dancing - Oh to have been the girl in his arms! and from then on I was hooked. I got Ghost on video just because Patrick was in it– I don’t know what it was - but he had it by the bucket load – and my heart goes out to his widow and his family. Also I would liked to have thanked him, as he got me & Doug to dance classes – We learned that "dirty Dance" along with lots of other dances - and it is still a very pleasurable shared hobby.
Thank you Patrick, not only did your dancing give me great pleasure to watch, but it also inspired us to dance too – so for me - you will be sadly missed.
So today I learned - Tears need not always be shed for those you know well - sometimes they can be for those you don't really know at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and welcome - thanks for taking the time to let me know you called.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...