Sunday 7 July 2013

Storytelling Sunday - - A Scrap of Paper

Welcome, welcome - so lovely to have you drop in. Today is another Sunday full of stories - - today it's Storytelling Sunday with Sian at High in the Sky - do you have stories to share? Just hop over and link up if you do, Sian will make you very welcome and explain everything - just click here for full details.

It had been a hard and busy day in the office , and the young woman was tired, the bus was crowded and she could so easily fall asleep surrounded by the warmth of humanity. She shook herself slightly - D------ was away so she had to get off to collect the children from R----. She hoped her youngest had been OK there today. Her small blonde tomboy didn't really like going to R---- as a shy, quiet little scrap she much preferred the gentleness of Granny's - where she could tuck herself behind the sofa and whisper to herself and play quietly.
School holidays were hardest as the children had to go to R---- for full days when granny wasn't available. The young woman sighed as she got to her feet to press the bell to alight to collect her family - it worried her that her little one hadn't settled at R----, but she supected it was a bit too over whelming for her youngest now they were in bigger premises - - -
As the bus stopped she got off and hurried up the lane to the Old Nursery - - the doors were open and the staff welcomed her as went in. " We've been painting today" said R--- " R------- really enjoyed herself, didn't you?" she said to the small girl appearing at her side, who had dashed out of the playrooms as soon as she saw mummy on the path.  "That's good to hear" was the younger woman's answer, "Come and see mummy, see what we did" - - her young daughter pulled her along the corridor to the big art room - - all around were huge posters full of foot prints, all shapes, all sizes, all colours! "Here is me mummy". The small girl spoke excitedly - - "R--- says we can take them home now they are dry"- -
- - which is how I came by todays' "precious"  - - a rather tatty scrap of paper in most people's opinion I guess - the white paint flaked away in parts, the background faded from its original bright blue but a reminder of not only how slender her small feet were, but of how she only ever tolerated going along to R---- and that day was one that stands out as a rare occasion when she truly could have said she had enjoyed her day there.
Another "Precious" - which usually lives in my box of treasures - really my jewelry box (though there isn't much in it beyond costume jewelry as I wear my only "good" jewelry all the time (my rings) - along with locks of hair and baby hospital bracelets. I think perhaps I should really add it to her baby album - that way it won't get lost.

Don't forget to pop over to Sian's for more stories - just click here

Thanks for stopping by
'til later

Banaghtyn, J x

20 comments:

  1. Definitely, definitely a Precious! It's exactly the kind of thing I like to keep too and I love how when you look at it, the story is still right there to be remembered with pleasure again.

    Thank you. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely keepsake. I can almost smell the flaking paint and remember how I used to love mixing it up from the big tubs of powder at school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh definitely a precious - isn't amazing how small they once were? Beautifully told story too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautifully told story and what a fabulous piece of memorabilia. I for one wish my mum still had some of my paintings, I have lots of my own from my friend's children and they're brilliant to look at when I feel really sad.
    And in response to your comment today, I know that when the right time comes you will be able to write that story and it will be perfect because you wrote it and no-one else can take it from you, it will be yours.
    Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful precious x
    Many thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet.. I wish I could find some of my child art. That's definitely a precious. Thanks for sharing. xoxo from France

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a lovely story, thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great precious, I wish we had taken more examples of hand and footprints. Always think there is something special about them. Thanks for visiting x

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely story. I love the image of her behind the sofa, whispering to herself and playing quietly. It's a great description.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  10. A really well told story. The creativity must run in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. a lovely story Jennie, I know just how she felt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely story and wonderful that you still have the footprint.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this kind of precious, it's so hard to remember them being that small. Thank you for the prayers, they are much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is an adorable precious! She had very slender feet!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lovely story and a very precious item indeed. I think you should put it in an album to keep it safe x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very precious indeed, Jennie...and worth a place in the album, I think!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have similar scraps of paper - and they are precious indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely story and such a precious item too

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely thing to have kept! We get so many pictures etc but it is lovely to keep hold of the things that mean so much more than the painted paper that they are.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh what a wonderful keepsake to have - truly as close to a part of her as paper can come.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and welcome - thanks for taking the time to let me know you called.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...