Wednesday 13 April 2011

I'm so excited -

- today I am going to see my girls. It does involve quite a lot of travel - first by sea and then by train - and a little bit of me - just a smidgeon - feels slightly apprehensive, as it is quite a long time since I travelled alone. However I also feel quite excited by the prospect - I love sailing, it is years since I last went on the ferry and I do like travelling by train - it makes me think of the railways heyday - when steam was king. Nostalgia kicks in (not that I am old enough to have travelled on the railways in their  heyday I hasten to add) - random thoughts fill my head, scraps of poems like this one float to the surface of my mind -  I hear the rhythm of the wheels on the tracks and feel such a sense of anticipation which far outweighs my slight apprehension! I have laughed at myself though - because last Wednesday I was also talking about railways. But you see - I'm so excited! And I am going to see my girls!

From a Railway Carriage


FASTER than fairies, faster than witches,
Bridges and houses, hedges and ditches;
And charging along like troops in a battle,
All through the meadows the horses and cattle:
All of the sights of the hill and the plain        
Fly as thick as driving rain;
And ever again, in the wink of an eye,
Painted stations whistle by.
  
Here is a child who clambers and scrambles,
All by himself and gathering brambles; 
Here is a tramp who stands and gazes;
And there is the green for stringing the daisies!
Here is a cart run away in the road
Lumping along with man and load;
And here is a mill and there is a river: 
Each a glimpse and gone for ever!



Until next time.

Bannaghtyn J x

2 comments:

  1. I'm feeling the energy of those clattering wheels too! Hope you have a lovely time. I know I am always excited to visit my DD too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, i've come over from BBFS, your blog is lovely, the background is stunning.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and welcome - thanks for taking the time to let me know you called.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...