Saturday 3 November 2012

Remember - -

- - remember - the 5th of November, Gunpwder, treason and plot. I see no reason why gunpowder treason, should ever be forgot.

I was reading a few blog entries from the other side of the pond this last couple of days - all filled with memories of Haloween Trick or Treat stories - and charming they all are too I must add. However it did make me look back at my own childhood - because of course in those days we didn't celebrate Halloween at all - but Bonfire Night!
And what excitement it generated in us as children - the anticipation of it being dark enough to light the fire - the scrubbing of the spuds to be thrown into the embers of the fire to be baked in their skins, the smell of the treacle toffee and the hunting out of the toffee hammer!! The mixed aromas pouring from every house on the street as each housewife prepared her contribution to the communal supper - Hash with dumplings, Bacon hotpot, Black peas - Parkin, Toffee Apples, and the wonderful smell of molasses for the treacle toffee!!
Dads were all busy collecting the fireworks together, hot drinks were bubbling away in every kitchen and how the mums managed with all us little ones getting in the way I don't know!! And the magic of Sparklers!! Absolutely wonderful - and the scent of gunpowder in the air when the finally fizzled out leaving you feeling bereft. I hope todays little ones look back at their Trick or Treat nights with as much fondness - -
'Til later

Thanks for stopping bye

Bannaghtyn, J x

3 comments:

  1. What lovely memories :) I have to say, I hope our memories of Bonfire Night are always stronger than those of Hallowe'en - though I'm quite happy for pumpkin cupcakes to become a strong memory for our family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am wondering if we 'celebrated' Halloween more than Bonfire Night in Scotland...I have memories of both, but my Halloween ones are definately the stronger ones! You have still been very much in my thoughts and prayers..take care
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hallowe'en was our celebration, rather than the 5th November and we had our fireworks then - your wonderful writing takes me right back to toffee apples and the smell of sparklers ... Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and welcome - thanks for taking the time to let me know you called.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...