Wednesday 30 November 2011

Home made Mincemeat - - -

- - - for your mince tarts.
Of course - nowadays there is no meat in the mixture  - but traditionally A mince pie, also known as minced pie, is a small British sweet pie traditionally served during the Christmas season. Its ingredients are traceable to the 13th century, when returning European crusaders brought with them Middle Eastern recipes containing meats, fruits and spices. I only ever eat them at Christmas - and I always make a wish when I eat my first one of the Christmas season. I used to make my own mimcemeat when my eldest daughter was small - but haven't done so in recent years - working does put a bit of a stop to one's gallop in the kitchen I find. I do enjoy it though - so thought I would share my recipe with you dear readers.
This is my method -  -however should you be teetotal - the alcohol can be replaced with good quality fruit juice.

Homemade Mincemeat 
Ingredients
 8oz Bramley Apples (or any other cooking apples)
4oz shredded suet
4oz  each of raisins , sultanas, currants, mixed candied peel
6oz soft dark brown sugar
Grated zest and juice of one orange and one lemon
1oz chopped mixed nuts
2 level teaspoons mixed ground spices – (cloves, nutmeg, allspice)
¼ level teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 small glass of sherry or 3 tablespoons brandy
Method
Wash, Core & chop apples into small pieces (no need to peel  them)
Chop candied peel  and mixed nuts finely  if necessary
Add all ingredients except brandy to a large bowl and stir til thoroughly mixed together
Cover with clean cloth and leave to stand overnight in a cool place to allow the flavours to develop.
After that pre-heat the oven to gas mark ¼, 225°F (120°C).
Cover the bowl loosely with foil and place it in the oven for 3 hours, then remove the bowl from the oven. Don't worry about the appearance of the mincemeat, which will look positively swimming in fat. This is how it should look. As it cools, stir it from time to time; the fat will coagulate and, instead of it being in tiny shreds, it will encase all the other ingredients.
When the mincemeat is quite cold, stir well again, adding the brandy. Pack in jars that have been sterilised (see below). When filled, cover with waxed discs and seal. The mincemeat will keep for ages in a cool, dark cupboard but I usually find it has all gone by Christmas!! I leave it for about a week before I use it - but it can be used immediately.  

NOTE: To sterilise jars, wash the jars and lids in warm soapy water, rinse well, then dry thoroughly with a clean tea cloth, place them on a baking tray and pop into a medium oven, gas mark 4, 350F, 180C, for 5 minutes.

I am hoping to include Recipes in my Christmas Journal this year - so if you are happy to share links, dear readers - please do. I am doing my very best to catch up with my blog reading - and am almost up to date - when I intend to try to comment again  - I will be glad to have some heating soon!  Thanks for stopping by.

Bannaghtyn - J xx

2 comments:

  1. I have some jars of homemade mincemeat in my cupboard too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad used to love mincemeat pie. Mom would make it for him, and none of us kids would touch it. It was one of those spices we didn't care for. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and welcome - thanks for taking the time to let me know you called.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...