Sunday 3 February 2013

Storytelling Sunday - February

- - once more blogland is full of stories today - - thanks to Sian from High in the Sky for hosting - and as I made a promise to myself to try to participate more often this year, here I am again.
Sian's suggested theme - precious - has lots of scope (details can be found here, )so do feel free to join in by sharing a story of your own.

Precious Perfume
The small girl stood at her side, looking up hopefully - the woman picked up the small black bottle and turning to the child bade her "hold out your hand". The little one obeyed delightedly - the smile stretching as granny squeezed the small, net covered rubber bulb - spraying sweet violet scented perfume on to her wrist - - - - -


It lives now in the pine cabinet in the alcove of the hearth -  just a small, rather pretty bottle, the gilding a little worn and the base slightly chipped, missing a couple of the small sparkly gems around the neck of the top - yet the painting/transfer/enamel on the sides is still in perfect condition- dating from the late 1940's or early 1950's. I am not sure just how old it is - not yet an antique or even very valuableI guess.
It used to sit on my Granny's dressing table  - and I remember it from when I was a tiny girl and she still had the shop - I have no idea how she got it - a gift from my mum perhaps?
It came to me as a 15 year old - I am not sure whether grandad or mum said I might have it when Granny died - but I suspect grandad - I can hear his voice in my head - "You have it, missy" is what I hear - he always called me "missy" ( and my sister was "little missy") but I am really not sure, the memory of grandad saying that to me could cover a myriad of small items!!
I need only to turn this little bottle round and round in in my fingers to be transported back in time - once again that small girl standing at granny's dressing table as she sprayed a little of the perfume it contained onto my wrist. The bottle still holds traces of that sweet violet perfume - - - the scent of granny - perfume was her only concession to "cosmetics" - and I think it might have been a Yardleys Eau de Toilette from the floral collection they made. I am not sure  any longer - I only know my little chipped glass bottle is priceless - to me and my mum anyway - another "precious".
Its home is rather cluttered with lots of "nick-nacks" - dust collectors really - and as I return my precious bottle to its home in the cabinet  I realise I ought to tidy it out. Maybe later.

There are a lot of stories to be found around the web today - you can find them here.

Thanks for stopping by
'til later,

Bannaghtyn - J xx

14 comments:

  1. Definitely a very precious item.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's absolutely beautiful! I'm sure it feels lovely in your hand - something tells me that even the chip feels softly worn and perfect.

    I'm so glad that you are keeping to your determination to tell stories this year - it's wonderful to be able to enjoy it along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a lovely bottle..and such precious memories that go with it!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a precious story and a precious perfume bottle. I am amazed the scent of violets is still there just waiting for you to take a little sniff that will bring back memories of your grandmother. A lovely story that I enjoyed reading very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a precious story and a precious perfume bottle. I am amazed the scent of violets is still there just waiting for you to take a little sniff that will bring back memories of your grandmother. A lovely story that I enjoyed reading very much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a precious story and a precious perfume bottle. I am amazed the scent of violets is still there just waiting for you to take a little sniff that will bring back memories of your grandmother. A lovely story that I enjoyed reading very much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is beautiful and, like you say, it doesn't matter how old it is or if it's an antique, it's priceless x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfume is always really evocative and its so great that you have that to remember her by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always think perfume is a sure way to be transported back in time! I wish all spray perfumes came in those traditional puffer bottles...there's something very feminine & luxurious about applying it that way!! TFS :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scent is such a way to remember people. Those puffer bottles are lovely, so glad you have your precious to remember your Grandma by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love how a perfume can take you right back to a time or place. When I was reading your story I was remembering standing at my grandmothers dressing table looking at all her precious things. Thank you for the story and the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a beautiful bottle. Fragrances have always been a huge memory trigger. The other day I walked past someone who smelled just like my Grandma did. It took my breath away as she passed away 20 years ago but it seemed like she was there beside me. I was very surprised at the affect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Scent is so evocative, and your writing about it is so very touching ... One person's clutter is another's valuable treasure, so hold fast to what you need and care about!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and welcome - thanks for taking the time to let me know you called.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...